Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Some politicians mocked our 23-year childlessness – ex-Minister


                               Abah, wife and baby at the celebration

A former Minister of State for the Interior, Mr. Humphrey Abah, and his wife, Mary, on Sunday in Abuja recounted their ordeal while waiting for a child after 23 years of marriage.

Abah said most times politicians threw verbal punches at his then childless status whenever he refused certain demands based on his personal principle.

The ex-minister and his 49-year-old wife spoke during the dedication of the child held at the United Evangelical Church in Utako District. They said they weathered their storm because “the God of Abraham and Sarah did not forsake us.”


According to Abah, God had given him and his wife the name they were going to give their child 15 years ago.

He said, “We were in the church service 15 years ago when God told us He was going to give us a child. When we got home that day, God gave us David as the name we were going to give to the child.

“Through those many years, I never lost hope. On the political turf, I got a lot of jabs. Most times, when I object to certain issues based on principle, the politicians will say, ‘what do you expect? We are not surprised, after all, he has no child’.

“I have grown to a position in life that I do not listen to comments that come from the sidelines. I have built a wall around myself that I can always move forward.”

On October 10, 2013 the family’s faith paid off as Mary finally gave birth to young David Onu Abah.

While shedding tears of joy, Mary Abah likened her many years of waiting for a child with the Biblical Sarah, wife of Abraham.

She said, “I thank the Lord for wiping away my tears and making me a mother at last. It is a dream I have heard since I married at the age of 27. Now, I am more than 49 years. It has taken a long time, but the Lord has done it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Uyi Ehigie.