Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 January 2013

Charles Novia- "My point has been made"



My write-up on my wall a few days ago on fake accents on Nigerian radio and television went viral a couple of days ago. I know I have lots of friends on facebook who are newspaper editors, reporters and columnists. I also have lots of personal bloggers as friends here. I cherish such people. Someone asked me why I'm not writing for any Nigerian Daily for a larger readership.

While I have had such offers, I also know that most of what I put here on my facebook wall reach a wide audience worldwide. And so when I put up a post; I ask myself if I want to be restrained in my opinions or just being blunt.

I always choose the latter because that is first and foremost who I am as a person and also because my primary audience here on my facebook page are used to my style of writing and I don't intend to change that. Here, I am one with my friends and if my opinions move from my wall to the larger world, then it means my friends believe it is worth sharing so as to change a system somewhere.

Why am I saying this? In the past twenty-four hours, almost all the major entertainment and daily blogs have been quoting my 'fake presenters' write-up. And typically, a lot of On Air Personalities are really rattled by it. My phones have not stopped ringing from calls from some who either commend or condemn my opinion and some have gone to twitter to vent their spleen.I almost was tempted to respond to one of such persons on twitter but thought better of it as it would be pointless; I think my point has been made. Majority of the responses to that post have been in support of my opinion. Which means that lots of Nigerians are really irritated by this trend. I gave an informed opinion.

I don't believe I mentioned names of such 'fake presenters' in my write-up. However, reactions on blogs and cyberspace from readers nationwide have been mentioning names of radio and TV personalities who fall into that category. I never knew it was an endemic problem. Now that we know it is; I do hope the radio stations management have heard and will perhaps re-orientate their presenters.

Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Uyi Ehigie.